Sunday 29 September 2013

Craving-Satisfying Rice Bran Muffins

This morning I was craving the bran muffins I ate constantly in my gluten-full days. The recipe that I used the most in those days was an old recipe from the company's coming series. The cookbook has since fallen to pieces from overuse (I think it dates back to my mother's early cooking days), but the recipe lives on in my memory!

That recipe was moist and addictive. Once out of the oven, my father and I could polish off half a batch in one sitting! The hardest part was waiting for them to cool after baking.

These muffins are nothing like those in terms of ingredients, but, like the ones of my past, they are incredibly moist and altogether satisfying. I think that they came out quite well actually! Luckily, these days I have more self-control and was able to stop after just two!

Let me know what you think :) I like these 100% plain, but they would be great with chocolate chunks or nuts if you want something a little more decadent!

These are definitely worth repeating!

Rice Bran Muffins
makes 12

Dry ingredients:
1/4 cup buckwheat
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup hazelnut flour
1 TSP baking powder
1 TSP baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Bran Mixture:
3/4 cup buttermilk (or regular milk/milk alternative with a squeeze of lemon)
1/4 cup greek yoghurt
3/4 cup rice bran
1/4 cup quinoa flakes

Other:
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
3 TBSP molasses
Chia egg: 1TBSP chia seeds + 3 TBSP water, soaked until jelly-like
1/4 cup coconut sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in large bowl
  3. In medium bowl stir together bran mixture and let sit for 5 minutes. At the same time, now is a good time to prepare your chia egg
  4. Add all "Other" ingredients to bran mixture and mix
  5. Mix bran mixture into dry mixture, until just mixed
  6. Fill prepped (greased or lined) muffin tray
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
  8. Let cool for 5 minutes before eating






No comments:

Post a Comment