Friday 27 September 2013

A Stuffed Squash for Autumn and a Monkey With Flour Covered Paws



For dinner today, I made a delicious stuffed squash, closely based on a recipe from The Sprouted Kitchen’s first cookbook. I’m so excited - Sara just announced that she is working on her second cookbook.  I can’t wait to get it into my hands! Her first book is one of the most treasured on my shelves. Although, not 100% gluten-free, her recipes are easily adapted and every one I have tried has been to die for!!! Sara’s recipes are my idea of comfort food – beautiful mixes of flavour and nothing too fussy either – perfect for weekday cooking!

I also decided to play around with some of the alternative flours I ordered from nuts.com. Not the greatest pic, I admit, as I took this from my smartphone, but I wasn’t the only excited one when the shipment arrived. Check out my littlest monkey trying to rip open the packaging upon arrival! Cute, but super destructive - he actually managed to get his claws into my bag of pistachio flour...  

I decided to start simple with the hazelnut flour (since I've used it before and figure its probably pretty close to almond flour).

The verdict? Little pudgy, two-bite chocolate chip cookies! These little beauties are pretty decadent so it will be hard to eat more than a couple - never a bad thing when it comes to cookies! I apologize again for the poor quality pics - the camera is out on loan to my parents so I am stuck with my smartphone for now!



Hazelnut Flour Bites


Makes ~20 two-bite cookies 

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2  cup Hazelnut Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup +2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup raw honey 
1/4 cup milk or milk alternative (would normally use almond milk, but sadly its no longer an alternative for me)
2 tbsp cashew butter
1 tsp vanilla

Add-ins:
1/4 cup candied ginger
2 tbsp chocolate chips (because that's all I had in the cupboard)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees  
  2. Mix together dry ingredients
  3. Add in wet ingredients and mix well. Mixture should stick together, but still be somewhat crumbly 
  4. Mix in add-ins
  5. Roll into balls (about a tbsp in each)
  6. Press lightly on the top of each ball to flatten
  7. Bake for 10 minutes 
  8. Cool for 10 minutes
  9. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment