Saturday 28 September 2013

A Difficult Journey with Rainbow Rice Wraps Waiting at the End of the Tunnel

Today was a hectic day! My parents are returning from their month long trip to the other side of the world this weekend so we had to return the little monkey back to his full-time home. The little monkey, unfortunately, has a BIG problem with cars, cat cages and anything to do with either. Let's just say that it was a long, noisy journey and leave it at that.

After that, I just wanted something simple and healthy to eat - nothing fussy. I've just come off a 6 week+ detox from sugar, so I admit the hazelnut bites from last night were probably not the greatest idea... I needed to make something clean enough that I could digest, but filling enough that the Monk wouldn't complain. 

I've been avoiding grains for the past few months, but my naturopath's tests show that I have no sensitivities to non-gluten grains which means some experimentation is in order (its a good thing too - I don't think I would survive as a paleo, eggless, vegetarian). 

I decided to whip up some rice wraps. Easy, fast and 100% satisfying! 


This was more than enough for me, but the Monk became fussy and insisted on some meat for himself. He had some lamb and was thrilled, but I'm sure these would go well with most meat mains (but I'm a vegetarian so what do I know!?).

Rainbow Rice Wraps
Filling:
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
1 avocado sliced
1 carrot, cut in matchsticks
2 cups red cabbage

Dressing:
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TSP dijon mustard
1 clove garlic
salt and black pepper to taste

To wrap:
Shallow dish of warm water
8 round rice paper sheets


  1. Mix together filling ingredients in a large bowl
  2. Mix together dressing ingredients in a small bowl
  3. Mix dressing with filling
  4. Soften rice paper sheets individually in warm water (about 30 seconds)
  5. Lay out rice paper sheet on surface
  6. Spoon about 1/8th of mixture into center in rectangle
  7. Fold top and bottom over mixture
  8. Roll up sides to form a roll
  9. Repeat steps 4-8 for remaining rolls

Lamb Chops
1 TBSP fresh rosemary
1 TBSP fresh mint
1 TBSP fresh thyme
1 clove garlic minced
pinch paprika
pinch salt and pepper

3 medium lamb chops
1TBSP coconut oil for cooking

  1. Chop herbs finally
  2. Mix herbs with remaining ingredients
  3. Rub all over lamb chops, let marinate for 1-2 hours covered in fridge
  4. ~30minutes before eating, remove lamb chops from fridge to come to room temperature and ensure even cooking
  5. Heat 1 TBSP coconut oil (or olive oil) in a skillet over medium-high heat
  6. Cook ~3minutes per side for medium chops

No comments:

Post a Comment